Friday, September 19, 2008

Whoa, Dude, that was Gnarley!

I had been warned that the road to Golden had some pretty tough spots with no shoulder and lots of trucks, and it was true. There were spots with literally zero shoulder and one lane uphill and one lane downhill. Grit your teeth and go . . . that said, it was darn pretty, and a big down grade. I crossed the continental divide again yesterday, and it has been mostly downhill for the stretch from the "Bow Summit" on the ice-fields parkway to Golden. Now I get a little flat, then "Roger's Pass", the last BIG climb left.
There will be a few more hills, but no more mountain passes. I have lost count, but I have climbed a lot of passes.

I am now in Golden, and will press on a few more miles and camp, then to face Roger's pass in the morning. Tomorrow night will be spent at Canyon Hot Springs, then on down the road. Home is drawing close, and it is tempting to hurry, but I really want to enjoy these final few miles. (I passed the 2000 mile mark yesterday)

No comments: