Saturday, September 6, 2008

Happy Flat

Why would anyone be happy about a flat? Here are the several reasons why----Flat tires are a part of cycling, no way around that. Some years it seems I have 2 per week, and other years I might have only one during the entire season, but flats happen. Today I had my first of this journey . . . a small very sharp shard of rock lodged in the tread, and slowly worked it's way through the Kevlar belt, finally rubbing a pin hole in the tube. Wa la ---flat tire. Why happy???Reason #1 was it was not raining when the tire went flat. It is not only miserable but difficult to change a flat in the rain. Also, it did not happen on a hill, but on a flat area, with a wide shoulder and plenty of area to work. Next, I was able to see "for sure" what caused the flat (many times this is not the case, and often if you are unable to determine cause, it simply repeats until you figure it out). All told, in 20 minutes or so I was happily back on my way, thanking my lucky stars that it had not happened on the fast descent (possible ruined tire) or during a rain squall.

I had a caribou trot along side me today for maybe 50 yards! I could almost touch him, and kept hoping he wouldn't turn my way.

Met three Japanese men on a road trip----they were stopped by the side of the road taking pictures, and took several shots of me as I approached. I stopped and chatted, and asked if they would email the pictures to me, whereupon each of them had their picture with me, and they said they would email them at the first chance!

The two stooges were at breakfast----two really funny guys who had been up in the Northwest Territories gathering crystals and fossils that they sell on ebay!

Torrential rain in the afternoon the last 2 days, but I am sleeping inside again tonight, glad to find a real grocery store to stock up a bit, and a laundry to get stuff clean and dry.

Oh, yes, I am in Fort Nelson. Definitely past the 1/2 way mark, and less that 300 miles from completing the "Alaska Highway" which is Dawson Creek to Delta Junction.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hello, How do I get in touch with you? There is no email or contact info listed .. please advise .. thanks .. Mary. Please contact me maryregency at gmail dot com