Sunday, September 14, 2008

Water

It is interesting to note that Canada contains approximately 30% of the earth's fresh water. A couple interesting things----rest areas along the Alaska Highway do not have water. Ever. I stopped at most of them, and they have toilets, garbage cans, and maybe a picnic table, but not water. I have found that in Alberta, parks/campgrounds do have water. (Water is very important to a cyclist.)
The next interesting thing is that Canadians seem to use as much if not more bottled water as anywhere I have been. Often you are handed a bottle of water upon arrival at a lodging place, and every little dive has bottled water for sale. Seems odd to me.

Last night was spent at a Campground at "Sheep Creek" about 20 miles short of Grande Cache. It had been a hard 11 hours of riding, and I was short on water (go figure), I was really beat, and unsure what I would do. A truck stopped in a pullout area, and as I rode up the driver was getting out to stretch his legs. We chatted a bit, and I asked if perchance he had a little water he could spare, and presto, was handed a bottle of water! And glad to get it too, let me say---

Short story long, he gave me a description of the rest of the way to Grande Cache, and as it was nearing dark, mentioned a nice campground a little further up the road. I asked if there was much left in the way of hills, and he replied that the last 5-6 K into Grand Cache was a long brutal hill. Decision made, camp and do the hill in the morning, so that is what I did!

It was a beautiful campground by the creek (?) - river, if you ask me. He did not lie about the hill, it was a real bugger. Motel tonight, and on to Hinton tomorrow. The young fella at the tourist information said the road is mostly down with significant flat areas, as Grande Cache sits on a plateau. With luck, I will be in Jasper on Tuesday! Milage will be shorter in the mountains, not just the hills, but daylight comes later and dark (or at least dusk/shadows) comes earlier. I am greatly looking forward to being in the park and marveling at the mountains.

The weather is stellar, moon nearly full, and the next few days should be the highlight of the journey.

1 comment:

me said...

Man I hope they recycle up there!!!