Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I Am So Amazed

I will never cease to marvel at a day like today. I started off in Hinton, where there was a view of the mountains in the distance. Very quickly they grew larger, and in seemingly no time at all, I was surrounded by, or maybe engulfed by the mountains! Mountains hold a kind of fascinating primal draw for me, even though I am certainly no "mountaineer" by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe it has something to do with our timeless past, who knows, but big mountains are very awe inspiring to me, and I know to many of you as well.

It is fascinating for me to occasionally stop and look back where I have come from and to think wow, I just came from way on the other side or those mountains, and now I am here, with nothing but my legs and a bicycle.

The weather is beyond anything I could have hoped for. I am so happy that the poor weather was at the start of my quest, and I am simply delighted to be in the Canadian parks with absolutely stunning fall weather. It makes riding a pleasure, and I will be able to camp a couple more times, I hope. Tomorrow down the Ice fields Parkway, next day to the village of Lake Louise, next day to Canyon Hot Springs if all goes according to plan. I am tempted to press on a bit with the weather being so kind to me, but I also want to soak up the parks a bit.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

Well said! Mountains. Where else can you see a more fitting personification of the presence of God. I know that some folks believe that they are just there, and I respect that perspective, but I have always felt a good measure of awe, pleasure, and sometimes even pain while living/working in a range. One develops a good measure of respect for majestic and even deadly elements. I learned to walk with a rhythm on a mountain, to listen and watch for warnings, and most importantly, to enjoy vast vistas and cathedral forests. It is a fine pleasure, indeed its hard for me to think of much, besides family that gives me more joy. I have yet to experience this while cycling, but I look forward to the possibility.

Have a great week!