Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mile "0"

I must say, I had goosebumps riding up to milepost "0". I have now ridden the entire "Alaska Highway," from start to finish. Logged a little over 1500 miles---no exact number due to malfunction of the cyclo-computer. I am taking a rest day today, gathering all of the items I mailed or had mailed to myself here, eating, sleeping, looking about!

Tomorrow it is on to Grande Prairie, Alberta, at which point I will have been in Alaska and three provinces of Canada (Yukon, British Columbia, and Alberta) and will have crossed into my third time zone! Then south to Jasper, down the Ice fields Parkway to Banff, West on Highway 1, Glacier Park, Mt Revelstoke, and south for Ainsworth Hotsprings and on to home!

Road surface----the vast majority of the Alaska Highway is "chip seal," ranging in size from fairly fine to the size of railroad ballast rock. There are a few stretches of "Ash-Fault," a substance very similar to the asphalt we use in the states. The worst joke "Ha Ha" was a stretch yesterday where there was a nice wide (30 inches approximately) shoulder,which some lame brained engineer decided to put a rumble strip right down the middle of. I cannot imagine why you would do such a thing . . . This left about a foot on either side, not much room and lots of traffic, big truck hauling equipment, etc. I know, whine, whine, whine.

Maybe more later, thanks for all of the support from the "Virtual road crew"

No comments: