Monday, August 25, 2008

Wet today, wet tomorrow

Howdy folks. I did not make Destruction bay, but stopped in Beaver Creek after a short ride of only about 25 miles. I am calling this an unplanned rest day :) It was very wet, and I got cold as well. Tomorrow I have to ride 110 miles as there is nothing between where I am and Burwash Landing, or Destruction bay which is another 10 miles. I have learned to ask at the visitor information center for an update on what services exist, as things close or get abandoned with some regularity! It is a harsh area.

I think a lot about those who settled this land, and how hearty and determined they must have been. They didn't have the option of eating at a restaurant, or staying at the nearest road house, or catching a plane for home!

Animal sighting--- I saw a bear-----a very big black bear (although it was brown, it was a black bear, not a grizz). It was getting ready to cross the road, so I zoomed by quickly to give it plenty of room. It was about 20 yards away, close enough to make my heart race!

Animal trivia---The Yukon Black bear "dens up" or hibernates for 7 months a year. That says something about the climate. The Yukon Moose is the largest anywhere, with an adult Bull weighing in at over 1500 Lbs. An adult Grizz on a feeding frenzy will consume 200,000 huckleberries in a day....no wonder they are hard to find!

Chuck----everyone here wishes that the rain would stop. This area is actually quite dry, with around 12 inches per year of rain, and it is close to that for August. The rivers and lakes are bursting the banks.....makes you wonder what the next few months will bring.

No comments: