Saturday, August 23, 2008

Tok!

Yours truly made it to TOK. One of those things that seems to follow each of us occasionally, my search for less costly lodging brought me to a B&B 4 miles out of my way. Very nice folks, who are former professional dog racers, and neighbors to the folks who trained Susan Butcher's dogs! They let me do a wash, and have free Internet access. (dial up) BTW, the one thing of equipment that didn't make it with me was the USB cable for my camera, so David will have to continue filling in photos until I actually return. Then I will add a nice little PICASA slide show as the final entry to the blog.

Today was a little wet, and unfortunately, the forecast is for more, much more, of the same. "Bummer Dude," as the younger set would say.

If you are given to praying, or to summoning the good will of a/the higher power by any means whatsoever, the next 4-5 days will be the most "dicey" of the trip as far as food and lodging go. Both the nice lady at the TOK visitor information center and my host at the B&B tell me there is a paucity of both food and lodging between the border and Whitehorse. In addition, It is truly fall here, the leaves are turning, and the air and clouds today both looked like it could snow.

I have not seen a bear, and hope not to see one except at great distance, but soon after noticing the sign for "bear creek" today, I noticed two dinner plate sized piles of bear scat on the side of the road. Hmmm....

Backing up, my first vista of the Alaska range in the distance yesterday made me physically gasp. Awesome.

Humorous note---as I was riding along on the nice wide paved shoulder today, someone had written in black letters on the side of the road "You're Awesome". Wow, I thought, how did they Know?? So maybe 50 yards further up the road is boldly proclaimed "NOT!" SO answer me this, who could have done this, and why? I am pretty imaginative, but couldn't come up with a believable reason. Off to bed....Hope to make it to just short of the border tomorrow.

No comments: